Day 2 musings

 Today’s musing is a difficult topic for me as it’s a place where I struggle. We learned a lot today learning about St Ignatius and the power of prayer to help bring God in and to focus our lives on serving him. I rarely pray. There isn’t a good explanation as to why but it clearly speaks to my thinking that it provides little value. And it’s odd that I don’t have this in my daily life and probably also speaks to where I am on my faith journey. Odd because my Mom was a firm believer in prayer as our some of my sisters. Mom said the rosary daily and would expand the prayers to include other peoples’ concerns and other peoples’ triumphs. Prayer for Mom wasn’t just asking God for help but thanking God for good things that happened. I even often told my kids that if that had a concern, let Grandma know and she would add it to her rosary and all would be well. But that never translated into my praying.

A while back I read the following passage and it resonated with me. “Pray even absent belief as a means of projecting you towards what’s beyond you”. Uncertainty about who or what God is should not stop you from praying and can help give guidance to the path in life you are taking. I’m hopeful that over these next 2 weeks, I find the ability to commit to prayer like my Mom did and that became a centering point in her life and a commitment to following in the ways of Jesus. In lieu of that, I can begin to pray in hopes that eventually I reach the same point as Mom did.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing, Fred. In my book, even thinking about praying (like you’ve done here) counts as a prayer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for the Pligrimage

Departure Day (for many of us)